Monday, August 29, 2005

What Is With Some People?

I'm not into political blogs at all. Personally, I find them as dull as dishwater. I'd much rather read about the everyday lives of people. However, once in a blue moon I see something on the nightly news on TV that just makes me want to slap someone. Tonight was one of those nights.

Two Liberal party MP's, Bronwyn Bishop and Sophie Panopoulus are pushing to ban Muslim girls from wearing headscarves in public schools. Apparently Ms Bishop describes the wearing of the hijab as an "iconic act of defiance". Here is a link to a short news story regarding this issue.

I must admit that I am largely ignorant of Muslim culture, but personally I think these two MP's are being ridiculous. As far as I know, the wearing of the hijab holds great religious significance to these girls. I guess it is like an expression of their faith. How dare these two women seek to ban these girls from wearing what means so much to them!

I thought Australia promoted itself as a multicultural country. If these two women represent a good part of the Australian community, then we have a lot to learn. Grrr!

Photo taken from the Reflections website.

No comments:

Post a Comment