Saturday, August 13, 2005

Nostalgic Thoughts

I've been thinking far too much over the past 24 hours. Thinking seems to invoke emotional responses. I'm not fond of emotional responses these days. More often than not, they lead to feeling down. Sometimes I miss the numbness.

Last night my mood fell dramatically. I'm not sure why. I was only chatting on MSN while watching the movie Grease on TV. I guess I became a little concerned about something and the thoughts just tentacled outwards from there.

Whatever the cause, I was left in a dark place. Thoughts of OD'ing resurfaced. It hadn't been the first time I had similar thoughts yesterday anyway.

I'm not in any danger of carrying out these thoughts though. Hubby is home on days off and I have a couple of friends I can turn to anyway if the thoughts become too disturbing. I guess, in a sense, they are just a little alluring ... to know that your life is truly in your own hands if you want it to be.

Anyway, enough with the depressive crap.

Around lunch time today I was watching a TV show called State Focus on Channel 10. The show aired a segment on Townsville's VP60 celebration. According to the VP60 website, the celebration commemorates the day, back in August 1945, when Japan announced its surrender to the Allies, bringing to an end what was essentially World War II in the Pacific Region.

Watching this segment stirred up memories of the time I lived in Townsville. I was lucky enough to be living in the northern Queensland city during a similar celebration just over 10 years ago. It couldn't have been the VP50 celebration. I had already moved on from Townsville in 1995. However it was "Victory Something-or-Other" relating to the finalisation of WWII, fifty years onwards. (What a goose for not remembering exactly what the celebrations were called.)

Whatever the name of the celebration was, it was an exciting time to be living in Townsville. The celebration continued for a number of days and the city hosted armed forces visitors from the USA. I remember hanging around with a bunch of girls from my church's youth group (yes I was a good little Christian girl back then ... what happened?) as we entertained a small group of American navy men for the weekend.

Gawd, did we have fun! We drove them around in our cars showing them the sights of Townsville. I remember scaring them witless with my suspect driving skills. I also spent a wonderful night sitting on the beach talking with one of the sailors.

Those were the times, hey. I wish I was still living up in Townsville this weekend.

6 comments:

  1. it definately is alluring and thank goodness that you have the support if needed. i really hope you feel better soon and hang in disso_k. please be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you have good support. my hub is excellent support too. I'm bipolar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice to know you are in control and have support. Hope you snap out of depression soon. Past can be both entertaining and depressing. Think of good memories and that they can happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it will leave you a good memories behind!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Blog Disso

    Athene Aquinas

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol
    me too... often... sometimes... like right now!!!
    *sigh*

    feel like crap today, will chat later ;)

    ReplyDelete