Saturday, November 05, 2005

Girls, I Think We Are On To Something

The results are in! Dogs are better than men!

Today's local newspaper reported the results from a survey conducted over the past couple of months by a large pet food company here in Australia. The research suggested that there may be a whole lot more going on between women and their dogs than the general population would suspect. For the majority of Australian women, aged 25 years and older, the four-legged friend is truly that and more - a trusted, reliable much-loved companion and a source of affection in difficult times. The following are some of the specific findings:

  • More than 90% of all women surveyed said they enjoyed the companionship and unconditional love their dog provided.
  • 60% of women said their dogs were more affectionate than men.
  • 63% of women said their dogs were more loyal than men.
  • 58% of women said their dogs were more reliable than men.
It doesn't stop there though. Other studies have found that:

  • People who own pets typically visit the doctor less than non pet owners.
  • Pet owners, on average, have lower cholesterol and lower blood pressure.
  • Pet owners recover more quickly from illness and surgery.
  • Pet owners deal better with stressful situations.
  • Pet owners are less likely to report feeling lonely.
Well, that's all the incentive I need. I'm off to trade Hubby in for a couple of more dogs.

(Information taken from "The Morning Bulletin", 5 November 2005, pp 12, 13)

3 comments:

  1. This article is nothing short of TRUE! This past Thursday (Nov. 3rd) I had to put my Yorkshire Terrier down. She was with me for 16 beautiful years and it was the hardest decision I ever had to make. But I would not trade those years for anything in the world.

    She provided unconditional love and was excited to see me every single time I walked through the door.

    My heart feels empty and I miss her so terribly.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. more laughter...
    so true. my dog AND my cats are all more loyal, affectionate and reliable than the men i've had in my life!!
    well... hmmm... its a bit of a tossup with L, but yeah, i think Buzzy still wins!!
    hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. true, true, true. My two cats have stuck by me thick and thin, dear old ex, well he ran at the first sign of trouble. I still have my cats :-) LOL

    ReplyDelete