Thursday, September 15, 2005

Treasured Memories

Okay, maybe my memories are not so treasured, but that is a topic for another post. What I want to write about tonight is old photographs and their significance.

A short time ago, I was chatting with an online bud ( to DuskyDawn) and the conversation turned to Australia's Great Barrier Reef. In the early 1990's I visited Queensland's Whitsunday region (arguably the best place to see the natural beauty of the reef). Shortly after arriving home from my trip to the area, I made up a whole album of the photographs I had taken whilst away. This album has followed me through all the different moves I have made since that time.

When DD and I were talking about the reef, I thought it would be a great idea to quickly scan a couple of photos from that album to show her. I scampered off to the computer room, where Hubby and I have a big book case which houses most of our photo albums. I couldn't find the album anywhere.

For days, I periodically searched for the photo album. It bugged me that I had misplaced it. I have always been one to keep old photographs, school year books and that sort of memorabilia; buggered if I know why really. Once in a blue moon, I just like to blow the dust off them and have a quick browse through the images.

Tonight I finally found the missing photo album hiding amongst a few of my Hubby's older albums which sit on top of our wardrobe in the bed room. I wouldn't go so far to say that I am greatly relieved to have found it. I would have, however, been disappointed to have never seen it ever again.

It made me think of a friend of mine, whose house burnt down years ago. She lost all her keepsakes due to the fire; her wedding album, photos of her kids when they were young, everything. I don't know. It just seems like that would be a horrible thing to have happen.

3 comments:

  1. Material goods can be replaced, but memories can't, and photographs often sits somewhere inbetween the two, which is why it can be heartbreaking to loose old family/memory photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It WOULD be a horrible thing to have stuff ripped away from you forever.

    I have experienced that a couple of times in my life - not due to natural disasters or anything, but were a result of my stupidity. I can't really explain in more detail than that. But it hurts.

    In a way, I know how victims of natural disasters feel - like for example, think about the folks caught up in Hurricane Katrina in New orleans..... They lost EVERYTHING in one fell swoop.

    It can be very devastating. Sure, with material things you can always replace them if you've got good insurance, but there are some things that money can NEVER replace.

    Hugs
    Polar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so glad you found your album, disso_k. That picture is beautiful. Thanx for posting it. Makes me, even more want to visit Australia.

    ReplyDelete