Friday, September 02, 2005

Back in the Workforce

I got the job. My old boss phoned a short time ago to inform me that I was successful in gaining the teacher aide position. I start on the 26th of September, just after school goes back from the September holidays. The position continues until school breaks for the summer on the 9th of December.

Apparently the school only interviewed two people, myself and the guy that I mentioned in my previous post. Here's the clincher though. We both got the job. He will be working with the year 9 students and I will be working with the year 8 students.

I don't know how to feel about this. I don't feel happy. I'm not overly worried about it. In fact, I sort of feel nothing at all.

Theoretically I know that this could be a great job. Although it's "only" a teacher aide position, there is plenty of scope to be creative within it, much more so than the general teacher aide positions at the school. It's a new position for the school, so nothing is set in stone. The focus is definitely on the kids, increasing their numeracy and literacy skills and generally making school an environment in which they may want to hang around a few more years. (Statistically, numeracy, literacy and retention rates for Indigenous students are significantly lower than the general student population).

So, I dunno. Yay me for getting the job I guess.

8 comments:

  1. Definate YEAH you for getting the job. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You are going to be such a positive, caring role model for these children. I think we need to throw a blog party!! I'll bring the booze!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! COngratulations!!
    Well done!

    Polar

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool. congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be proud! Teacher aids were always great and creative so you will be making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the congratulations and support everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU GO GIRL! and just keep the cat; he's apparently already moved in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, cool!
    congrats on the new job
    i know its hard to feel anything but numb about it, but i still think it'll be cool!
    xx

    ReplyDelete