Friday, September 16, 2005

Feral Feathered Fiends

It's that time of the year again. When out walking, be sure to wear a hat. In fact, wear a helmet. It's magpie swooping season.

About this time every year, the humble Aussie magpie turns a little nasty. It's nesting time for them and they are ones for making sure that their babies are safe. They dive bomb anything that they see as a threat.

This year I have a front row seat to all the action. Right across the road from my house is a particularly feisty magpie that has been swooping everybody who rides past on a bicycle. The evil part of me is enjoying every minute of the action too. Every so often I hear the telltale squawk of the diving magpie. I then rush to the window to see a kid tearing along the footpath, followed closely by a blurred black and white feathered streak. I can't help myself. It's just really funny!

I must admit that I've had my embarrassing experiences with swooping magpies. The worst experience happened a couple of years ago when I was working at the local high school. During the middle of lunch, in front of all the students, I was hit by a magpie whilst walking across the
parade ground. The students had a field day with it. A magpie's peck really hurts too!

Photo credit: stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site

No comments:

Post a Comment