Sunday, September 25, 2005

Dreaming of Work

Firstly, it's hard to believe that I start work tomorrow. It has felt like a dream ever since I was offered the job. I'm tempted to ring up my boss today to make sure that I didn't imagine the whole job thing. It seems so unreal. I'm scared of turning up at the office tomorrow only to be looked at strangely because I was not offered the job after all.

Secondly, I dreamt about work last night. The school looked incredibly different to when I used to work there, but it was the same school nevertheless. Some of the people were different too, although the deputy principal, who has since retired, featured in my dream.

The details of the dream are a little sketchy now as it has been a couple of hours since I woke up. I remember the school's library though. It was huge, nothing like the school's actual library. At that point of the dream, I had run out of work. Consequently, I canvassed the office staff for something to do. They asked if I would take a letter over to the library. I remember being a little unsure about this. I checked the letter's recipient a couple of times with the office staff. I then walked over to the library, only to be confronted with a long line to get in and a confusing entrance. I eventually found my way in, past a teacher whom I recognised. As I entered the library and furtively looked around for the place where I needed to drop off the letter, the librarian emerged. I recognised her as well. She asked about why I had been away for so long, indicating that she had thought I took time off to renovate my house or something. I told her that I had been ill and left it at that. The librarian then pointed towards the office where the letter's recipient worked. I entered the office. A woman was sitting at a desk with her back to me. I asked her what her name was, to ensure that I gave the letter to the correct person. She wouldn't tell me. I asked her again. She still refused to tell me her name. I gave her the letter; however, I bent down to her ear and threatened her, saying that she would never get any assistance from me.

I exited the library. The students and teachers were all heading towards the parade area. I decided to attend the parade as well, walking through a fence which just opened up for me as I went through it, then into a building and down a staircase which was covered with students' artwork towards its base. The artwork made the staircase slippery, so I had to be careful to keep my footing.

I didn't actually make it to the parade ground itself. There were too many students and teachers milling around. Instead I stopped at the base of the staircase and sat down amongst the crowd to listen to what I could hear of the school parade.

As I was sitting there amongst the students, a heavy earth moving machine (something like a small excavator I guess) appeared around the corner. The people where I was sitting, myself included, were concerned that the machine would somehow manoeuvre into the staircase's alcove. We consequently quickly moved up the staircase to escape the machine's path.

After a while of listening to the parade, I decided it was time to slip out for a quick cigarette. For some bizarre reason, I did not take my car. Instead I took the school's bus. To cut this part of the dream short, I had a couple of cigarettes whilst driving the bus around and then returned to the school. Once back at the school, I walked past the deputy principal, told her that I had taken the bus instead of my car and that was the end of the dream.

3 comments:

  1. WOW, disso_k thats a pretty interesting dream. I wish I could interpret it, because I'd really like to know the significance of the machine in the staircase. dreams like the one you just had always leave me with a huge WTF for days to come-LOL.
    well, if we dont get a chance to talk before Monday, I hope you have a really good 1st day and can't wait to hear all about it. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your first day, disso_k. I'll be thinking of ya! Next Monday I start my NEW job, and I'm pretty nervous myself. It's hard enough to start a new job, let alone re enter the workforce after a long absence. All the best to you!

    Polar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks to you both for your well wishes, duskydawn and polar bear. Best of luck with your new job, Polar. A whole new environment! Eek! I'm sure you'll do great though.

    ReplyDelete