Saturday, September 10, 2005

Nocturnal Visitors

Isn't he the ugliest thing you've ever seen!

I've been meaning to photograph one of these guys for ages now, so tonight I took my camera outside and lined up a couple of toads for a photo shoot. This guy was particularly photogenic. His friend was quite camera shy and just kept hopping away.

Cane toads are the bane of my existence! My dogs love to chase them. Countless times I have had to shove the garden hose down my Aussie's throat to wash out a toad's poison. The poison from one of these guys can kill a dog.

These warty critters may rule my backyard at night, but at least the furry kids and I are safe, warm and comfortable inside sleeping on our king-size bed.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok and i thought the grasshoppers where i lived were bad. i am NOT coming to visit you-lol! EWWWWW...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that they have poison that would kill a dog. That is scary! My dog chases anything that moves....I would be running around with the hose all the time. I had a hose incident just the other day when my darling Beau decided to roll in Poop. I couldn't believe it! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God, toads are so noisey too. I remember when I lived in Africa they would keep me up all night with their chorus.

    I can't imagine poison toads though!! WOW!!! I hope your dogs will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen a few documentaries about Cane Toads. I remember seeing stretches of roads cover in Toad squishies.

    They don't even eat the bugs they we're brought over for, do they?

    (arrived via blogadvance)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey tickles tapeworm! Thanks for stopping by. You are right about the cane toads not eating the bugs that they were introduced into Australia for. The sugar cane bettle lived up in the sugar cane. Apparently the cane toad can't jump that high, so the toad was totally ineffective. D'oh!

    Wow James! Living in Africa for a while would have been amazing! The cane toads in the backyard are why Hubby and I don't allow our furry kids outside at night unless we are with them. They are a great big pain in the butt, but I can't bring myself to kill them.

    Mothy, I'm with you. They just suck! Jo and I must be ganging up on ya, hey. LOL

    JC ... ewwwww. Dogs and poop ... gotta love it. :)

    Sansanity, you'll have to come down to Australia for a visit. We can hide all the nasty creepy crawlies for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete