Monday, July 04, 2005

An Accidental Life

Tonight, I stumbled upon the following poem written by melodyann and appearing on her website "Searchin' For a Rainbow". I find myself identifying with much that melodyann has written in her poem. Anyway, have a read. I'll let the poem speak for itself (and for me).

An Accidental Life

I think that I was never meant to be
An accident that happened, actually
There's no place for me, no purpose, no past
Nor promise of a future that will last

I cannot find a place from whence to start
To find the things I need to fill my heart
Not sure that I have feelings that are real
Or think the things that thinking people feel

Relationships don't last, and love goes sour
I haven't ever seen my finest hour
I'm not the same as "normal" people are
And I don't measure up to them by far

Not able to confront the things I fear
I'd much rather be anywhere but here
Quit searching for those missing parts of me
I think that I was never meant to be

I know I'm unfinished, uncreated
And this is the life for which I'm fated
No one to point out just where I belong
No higher power shows me right from wrong

This brain can think, oh yes, these eyes can see
But there is nothing here to make me me
No self-fulfilling goals for which to strive
No reason to be glad that I'm alive

I think that I was never meant to be
A mystery which binds no one but me
My life thus far a curiosity
The key to which will never set me free

No great love stories will be written here
No turning points or milestones reached this year
No brightest sunlight after the darkest dawn
No pits nor hills to mark the road I'm on

And when at last my body's laid to rest
No one to say I didn't pass life's test
No broken hearts to mend, nor tears to quell
No one will say "she's gone; I knew her well"

Please lay the body in some green acre
Let the soul go on to meet its maker
Write these words to sum up the life of me:
"I think that I was never meant to be"

1 comment:

  1. hey, i know i'm ego driven and everything - me me me...
    BUT
    i need you, as a friend, a confidante and all-too-often as an advice giver
    even if u can't see your worth as a person at the moment - i truly believe that shane does, and i absolutely 100% KNOW that i do
    uve been there for me in the last few months in a way that no one else could have been, and in a lot of ways i owe my life to you
    my life might be shit most days, lol, but at least i'm still here
    "never meant to be" rubbish - you were always meant to be the wonderful, supportive,caring person that you are
    you've just lost sight of that aspect of yourself - but it's still there
    xx

    ReplyDelete