Sunday, December 11, 2005

Surreal Dream

Although the details are a little foggy now, the following is a description of a dream I remember having last night.

The dream featured my mother. What a coincidence that I only posted a blog entry regarding her yesterday. The words I used during this entry were, "For whatever obscure reason, I just seem to lose it when even the thought of her surfaces." How true were those words! How dare the memory of her break into my dreams!

In the dream, my mother was living in some sort of house that doubled as a small motel. I had come home from work for my lunch break. Someone accompanied me. I'm not sure who this person was other than some anonymous work mate.

My mother was laying on a day bed in the house's back room. She was half watching the television that sat in the corner. She was frail. Her previous illnesses and her past lifestyle had obviously taken a toll on her.

Since I was only on my lunch break, my time at the house was limited. She wanted a bottle of spring water though. A tall glass of cold water from the fridge was not good enough. I soon discovered that there was no bottled water in the house. I would have to visit a local store to buy some for her.

I was feeling mildly annoyed at having to do everything for her. At the same time, however, I was rushing around fussing over her. I felt like she was more able than she let on, that she was abusing my concern and my limited time.

Then the surreal part of the dream began. I walked to the back of the house which was only a short distance from my mother's day room. The back door wasn't like a house's door however. It resembled the doorway of a tent, with a triangular shaped zippered insect netting inside a zippered nylon door. A doorman stood at the back door. There were also a couple of hospice workers present.

I informed the hospice workers of my dilemma, of how I needed to get the bottle of spring water for my mother but was desperately late for returning to work. The female hospice worker told me not to worry. There was a train (an old steam train, mind you) about to arrive. The train would be carrying bottled water. I glimpsed the steam train approaching from the side of the property.

My concern for my mother then switched to concern for my dogs. I was worried that the doorman had inadvertently let them out to wander. The train could run them over.

I asked the doorman if he could please zipper the mesh to keep it closed and thus keep my dogs safely inside. I then called my dogs, only to discover that they were with my mother in the daybed room.

That was the end of the dream. What a strange one!

3 comments:

  1. You know, for some reason I always find your posts so very interesting. You have such a keen insight into yourself really and a way of expressing your honesty and truth. We all are so different and yet we share the same dis-ease or disorder which ever you choose to use. It is interesting how we look at our parents. Your dream is talking to you and though I do not know its message to you there is certainly one there.
    I believe one day you will find peace with your mother and in doing that my guess you will find more peace within yourself. Both my parents are dead. I happened to be so very furious with both of them. Before my dad died we found peace with each other in his last few days. In the case of my mother she had a stroke before I ever had the chance to tell her how I felt and express my anger and resentment. Then, the day she died I was there holding her hand and saying quietly to her that it was okay to go. I will never forget that moment, not ever and it changed my life in ways I never thought possible.
    Though we are from other sides of our world, I appreciate what you write and what you do and how you care about children. I wish there were more people that did. So many of us carry the wounds of our childhood. It takes us years and sometimes lifetimes to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "For whatever obscure reason, I just seem to lose it when even the thought of her surfaces" - this is so true for me too!

    I find that whenever I talk about her during a therapy session, I get depressed and upset after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what Steve said... but I don't necessarily agree that you NEED or WILL make peace with your parents.

    Sometimes its ok to say "i'm ok, i don't need them or their approval" and just move on. *shrugs*. Sometimes, not all the time.

    Its society that forces us to think we have to love our parents, that we have to have them in our lives, or that we have to "make peace".

    My mother and I talk, we're civil, its friendly even, but we'll never make peace. We'll never resolve all the issues. Ever. Cos she is who she is. And as much as she tries to pretend that none of the "bad stuff" ever happened to us as kids, reality is that it did, and she was responsible for most of it. blah blah blah...

    For you tho, Disso, your relationship with your mother IS affecting your life. Resolving these issues doesn't mean making peace with HER, it'll mean making peace with YOU. Know what I mean? The mother factor is secondary. Accepting yourself for who you are (and that includes your childhood etc) is the key.

    More blah blah blah.

    Eek... i've gotten all serious!!

    *changes tact*

    Umm...

    I like the fact that your dogs were included in your dream!! Thats freakin funny!!

    P.S. A word of advice - next time let the old woman die of thirst while you take your furries for a walk somewhere other than the train line. A happy ending for everyone. :D

    ReplyDelete