Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Not a Fan of Emotions

I'm truly not. In fact I am beginning to despise them immensely.

I'm just coming out of another "numbing out episode". I still feel quite strange but at least I can control my own movements now. That has to be a plus I guess.

I'm not particularly fond of these episodes. They are kind of frightening. Thank goodness they don't last for very long. They just seem to leave me with what I will for the moment term a "numbing out hangover".

This one left my whole body feeling incredibly heavy. I couldn't move. It felt like something was trying to take over me. At one stage I was actually daring it to, but of course there was nothing there.

I will hazard a guess that this particular episode came about from some news I was given this afternoon by a friend. I sort of knew that it was coming, but it knocked me for a six nevertheless. Despite the very real possibility that I won't have as much contact with this friend next year, the news may also have implications on my ability to re-enter the workforce.

When my friend told me her news, I got excited for her. It is a wonderful opportunity for her, a fresh start. It wasn't until our telephone conversation ended that I felt any type of loss.

By the time I ventured out to the local grocery store (I couldn't delay the visit any longer because Hubby goes back to work tomorrow and I needed food for his crib), I was feeling a little upset. It was kind of difficult walking around the grocery store when feeling this way.

The numbing out episode didn't hit me until I arrived home though. I started feeling a little nauseous, then all of a sudden it hit me. I was able to make it to the couch to lay down before the sensation of not being able to move really took over me.

So there it is. Another description of my type of dissociation I guess. Mind you, I don't like calling it dissociation. I'm not even certain that it is dissociation. I prefer my term. It normalises the experience somewhat.

Update (A Few Minutes Later) ...

Lovely! Hubby just woke up and stumbled out to the kitchen. He began asking me all these annoying questions about what there was to eat tonight and if his work car had arrived. I felt my answers to his questions were rather snappy. I let him know the reason for my shortness was because I had just experienced the numbing out episode. He rolled his eyes, told me to let him know "when I was right" and then went to sit in front of his computer at the other end of the house. Fucking great! I've always known that I am alone in this, but sometimes it sucks to be blatantly reminded of it.

4 comments:

  1. Depression overkill -->>

    "I've always known that I am alone in this, but sometimes it sucks to be blatantly reminded of it."
    *sigh*
    ditto
    I don't like the male variety very much either.
    How is it that they can make us feel this big *pushes thumb and forefinger together* at the drop of a hat? And how is it that we don't see it coming? How is it that it takes us by surprise and hurts afresh each and every time?
    Damn selfish pricks.


    Attempt at normalcy -->>

    Emotions... numbness... I go the latter. Would you believe I actually cried watching stupid film clips on Rage this morn?? Honestly... this whole emotion thing is getting more and more ridiculous.
    Grrrr.
    And as for your "numbness hangover"... lol. Thats really quite apt I reckon! Do you get emotion hangovers as well?? I seem to get both. :S
    Its like you get this WTF episode between periods of numbness and periods of emotion. A WTF episode where either the emotion hits you all at once and you struggle to cope with the intense feelings, or the numbness hits you all at once and you're left "nothing".

    *screams to get frustration out*




    Gee that feels better now...
    :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man! do i ever relate to that! i had found myself drifting off into the "Twilight Zone" a lot lately, but thanks to you bringing me up to speed about why i was zoning out, i was able to snap myself out of it, so thank you Kym
    ((((((((((((((Kym))))))))))))))))

    it's a bitch when those episodes just come from out of nowhere and it's like you become flash frozen in another dimension...and then just as suddenly as it comes, it's like you instanly "flash thaw" and you're back in reality again.

    never ever feel you are alone in this Kym, okay?

    much love
    (((((((((((((((Kym)))))))))))))

    genelle (miz e)

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw, what is the "semi-big smoke?" i've been meaning to ask you about that *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genelle, "big smoke" is a slang term for city. I guess it must be an Aussie saying. Sorry 'bout that. So, when I say "semi big smoke", I'm referring to the nearest city to where I live. It's pretty small with a population of only around 60 000, so that's where I get the "semi" thing from.

    Thanks for all your support.

    ReplyDelete