Monday, December 19, 2005

Plunged Into Darkness

What did people do before electricity? I had the chance to find out earlier this evening when my house was plunged into darkness due to a power outage.

After racing outside to (thankfully) find that my house was not the only one affected, I sat myself down on the couch and stared into the candle-lit gloominess. I glanced over at the dark screens of both my television and laptop and wondered how the heck I was going to fill in the potential hours of darkness that were ahead of me. Then the question entered my head. What on earth did people do before electricity? How did they spend their evening hours?

For one, I suppose they didn't sleep half the day away like I did today. Woops! Bad me! I was just so damn tired today, I couldn't help but go back to bed a hour or so after I initially woke.

I would imagine by the time pre-electricity people finished all their day-to-day chores, they were exhausted and went to bed relatively early. What a life, hey! I guess there wasn't much to it apart from working to stay alive. Ick! Then again, have things really changed all that much?

Philosophical debate aside, I did decide to take a leaf out the "pre-electricity booklet" and get off my butt to do a little cleaning in the kitchen. I now have less dirty dishes sitting in the sink awaiting cleaning and a load of rinsed dishes sitting in the dishwasher ready for their final clean.

Oh, and the good news is that the power outage only lasted a short while. I am now back sitting in my usual position on the couch in front of a fully powered-up computer.

Photo credit: stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site

2 comments:

  1. Feels like I have been gone a long time so will post to this and the prior one from here. Your mood is not alone and not sure if that helps but I have another friend (bp) who is has been in a deep dark place. I too have only mamaged to ride the edge of that deep abyss. Interesting when we loose power eh? When it is gone for more than a day we really begin to realize how spoiled we have become. We seem lost without it but in time we come to find new things to appreciate and do. I still prefer to have the power back on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol

    Here's a few tips...

    If there's likely to be a movie on at the cinema - go out.

    If the shops are open - go out.

    If you have a friend who lives somewhere nearby who DOES have electricity - drop by for a chat.

    If all else fails - sex by candlelight... *smiles innocently*

    Or heck, get some paper and a pen and WRITE DOWN your next blog the old fashioned way!! I've been known to do this at work occasionally. :D

    ReplyDelete