Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Road Tripping

My GBF and I took ourselves off on a whistle-stop road trip around central Queensland today. Our trip focused on a town called Emerald and its surrounds. By central Queensland standards, Emerald is a cute little place. It boasts the most amazing railway station that I have ever seen. Silly me didn't think to take a photo of that gorgeous building though. Oops!

Luckily, we did manage to get a few nice photos of some of the other highlights of our journey. The following are a selection of these photos. There are some others over on my Flickr page.

Comet PubThe Comet Pub

On the way home from Emerald, we stopped at the Comet Pub for a quick drink. It's such a gorgeous pub. The pub's interior is as amazing as its exterior. It's filled with all manner of countrified paraphernalia.

Alpha RooAlpha Roo

Another one of our road trip's destinations was the Emerald Cemetery. The cemetery hosted a family of kangaroos that were lounging around underneath the trees. I'm not entirely certain that this guy appreciated our presence however. He was certainly keeping a close eye on us, making sure we didn't step out of line.

Angel in BlueBlue Angel

I love wandering around old cemeteries and thankfully my GBF didn't think I was completely over the top when I suggested we visit. This angel sits atop one of the graves in the older section of the cemetery.

Check out the central Queensland summer sky! Not a cloud in sight!

Cheeky CockatooCockatoo

Just outside of Emerald is Fairburn Dam which holds the town's water supply (I think). We sat ourselves underneath one of the park's shady trees and were delighted to discover that were several cockatoos hanging around in the tree. We spent ages photographing the birds.

Kangaroo and JoeyMum and Joey

I had a good day. My GBF has blown through this red-neck haven like a breath of fresh air. It did me a world of good to get out of the house, out of this town and just hang out amongst cockatoos, kangaroos, graves and nature in general. I don't usually get the chance to do that. I found it refreshing and I only thought of driving into on-coming traffic the one time. The outing must have done me good!

1 comment:

  1. Nice Pics, and looks like you really had a good trip. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete