Friday, December 23, 2005

Bah Humbug

I have to admit to feeling just a tad Scrooge-like at present. I spent most of the day organising a last minute present or two and clearing a space in the lounge room so that I could finally put up my little Christmas tree. Despite all the preparations, I couldn't grab a hold of the spirit of the occasion.

I don't know, maybe Christmas is only for Christians. (Duh!) If one is not into the religious significance of the holiday, then maybe Christmas is only for people with children and close family members. When you are without these "qualities" then Christmas seems irrelevant and a tad painful, or at least it does to me.

The whole season thing doesn't sit right with me either. It's summer here in Australia. Why then are we all busy preparing for a holiday that essentially sprung from Yule or the winter solstice? As I understand it, Yule signifies hope and renewal. The longest night of the year is upon us. From here brightness slowly returns and the stark coldness of winter dissipates.

There's only one problem. Here in Australia it is as hot as hell. Everything is green and growing from the summer rains. Our wheel of the year is at exact opposite to the northern hemisphere. We are beginning our decent into winter and the coming darkness. Not that its a bad thing, mind you. I prefer winter. It brings relief from the searing heat of the summer.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I will not be alone on Christmas day. I will be sharing it with Hubby. Hubby seems to adore Christmas. He loves the presents and the opportunity for a huge feed. His face brightens on Christmas morning, just as I imagine a child's would.

Despite this, I can't shake this feeling of loss and emptiness. There will be no loving family to celebrate the holidays with. There will be no children bubbling with excitement and anticipation on Christmas morning. After Hubby and I have exchanged presents, the day will be a non-event, just as it always seems to be. Although I am aware that it is most likely societal norms pushing these feelings upon me, it all still seems rather pointless.

How does one capture the spirit of the holidays?

Shine on you crazy diamond!
(Yes, I'm listening to Pink Floyd again.)

3 comments:

  1. I received a note from the Universe in my email today. I'm posting it on my blog as soon as I'm done with this note to you. It seems that too many people need to hear its message, to just post repeatedly as a comment. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can adopt a family or child for christmas. They have a story and need list. My sister does that almost every year. I find it's a frame of mind. I stir up old memories of christmas past, revel in the light of the christmas tree, snuggle with pets, and watch every cheesy christmas movie I can get my hands on.
    Bless you, and have a wonderful christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kym: you are not alone. i dont celebrate Christmas but i respect those who do, Christian or otherwise. to me, when i hear Christians say "Jesus is the reason for the season" i wanna hurl. some of these people are so hypocritical its not even funny.

    another thing: why wait until one day out of the WHOLE year to "think of those less fortunate" or "give love" and "be grateful"????

    IMBHO (in my brutally honest opinion) thinking of those less fortunate, giving love and being grateful should be AN EVERYDAY THING. no gift in the world can compare with a random act of kindness, generosity or love that comes from the heart.

    that's why i like Kwanzaa. it is not religious, it is acknowledgement of my African ancestors and the first fruits of the harvest. there is NO PRESSURE to give a gift, and if one is given, it is given to the children, and it is an educational and practical gift. there are 7 Principles of Kwanzaa that are to be used in everyday life.

    sorry to ramble on, but i do have a link posted for more info on my blog.

    Seasons Greetings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete