Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Ummm ... Thinking Too Much?

Where to start? I guess I'm feeling a little thoughtful tonight. I don't know how to explain it really, which seems to be so like me. Maybe retrospective? I'm not sure. I'm not really focused on the past per se. My mind is just quiet, yet in some way full of thought.

I went for my usual trip into the semi big smoke today, for my usual appointment with my pdoc. It turned out that last week's appointment was cut short because the pdoc was ill. Silly bugger! Doctors seem to work too hard. I understand that for a psychiatrist maybe the world does stop for some patients if s/he isn't able to see them, but surely there comes a time when you have to look after yourself first. If you are sick, you are sick.

Anyway, that aside, today's appointment was more fruitful than last week's. Why? I guess the pdoc and I actually engaged in some form of discussion. The whole memory thing was once again a major theme throughout the appointment. The pdoc brought up one particular memory that we had apparently discussed a couple of times prior to today, that being the one when, as a child, I sat on the back steps with my pet dog listening to my mother getting stuck into my brother for some reason. I recall that that particular memory was one of the ones I listed in my "100 childhood memories" posts, but as for it being a topic of discussion prior to its inclusion in that list, I am not entirely certain. Perhaps. The pdoc pointed out that the first time this particular memory was discussed, I reacted somewhat negatively, yet on subsequent occasions I had somehow distanced myself from it. Aren't I good! *insert bemused smile here*

I don't know. It's kind of frustrating. It would appear that I distance myself from emotions and feelings regarding events that I should have some sort of emotional connection to. However, I don't understand the what's, the where's and the why's regarding this phenomenon. Apparently it's not the norm, yet it's just the way it is for me. At one stage, I used to view myself as an emotional person, but somewhere along the line I lost that.

I may sound like a broken record when it comes to what I am about to write because I have said something similar time and time again, but I am mystified when it comes to therapy. After all this time I still don't understand what the ultimate goal is. Is it that one day I will miraculously wake up and ... what? Everything somehow fall into place? Feel again? Reach a level of happiness that makes life worthwhile? Actually give a shit? Suddenly go, "Oh that all makes sense ... now I know why I am why I am." Ugh! I don't know! Having a life worth living seems only to be connected to the ability to not think about things. If you think, you are stuffed. It's better to be distant. It's better not to care. Ultimately though, I do not want a life like that. It's not real. I'm sick of not being real. It's the only way I can successfully survive though. Bugger!

Gawd, this whole post is a perfect example of why it is bad to think about stuff. Thinking makes you doubt yourself and write copious amounts of shit.

3 comments:

  1. Um... thinking too much and writing copious amounts of shit is what blogging is all about!!!

    Sheesh!!

    On a serious note for a change - i think the trick is balance. Working out when to emotionally attach and when to detach. Cos in some circumstances, detaching yourself emotionally is helpful, and in others it isn't. For certain traumatic events, you need to distance yourself to cope. And yet for every day life, you shouldnt NEED to use this coping mechanism.

    Know what I mean?

    That doesn't mean you DON'T feel the way you do, or that you don't have the RIGHT to feel the way you do, or that you SHOULDN'T feel this way. Cos fuck it, you only get to live once and you can employ whatever strategies you need to to cope with life.

    I'm just saying that I think (and not that I "do") the key is one of balance.

    Now I'M the one who's thinking too much and writing copious amounts of shit lol.

    Oh well...

    *waves hello anyway*

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the key is one of balance". What the? With each passing week of this pregnancy my English is getting worse and worse lol.

    *rephrases*

    I think that the key is balance. Emotionally distancing yourself when you need to, but staying in touch with the world and your emotions the rest of the time.

    But don't listen to me. Geez, I can't even speak proper English lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, while I'm ranting, can I just pick on your pdoc for a second...

    It would seem logical to me to assume that (following my earlier train of thought) the reason you automatically distance yourself emotionally from every day life (and not just traumatic events) is cos you're damn depressed! Hence it IS a coping mechanism.

    Why doesn't your pdoc focus more on treating your depression than focusing on memories and your tendency to dissociate from them??

    Know what I mean??

    Is it just me? Or can you see a logical link there too??

    *mutters something about docs*

    ReplyDelete