Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Things That Make You Go ...

sunflower painting on easelMmmmm!

I had to drive over to the small smoke again today, this time to get the car serviced. To be honest, I'm getting a little sick of the place. Lately it feels like I'm forever in the car, headed in that direction. It isn't such a bad place really. It's just that there is not a lot to do in a small town with no transportation. The age-old transportation method of walking is not particularly pleasant in 36 degree heat either.

Despite the heat, I did do a lot of walking today, with camera in hand of course. At one end of town is a visitors' park, complete with a giant Van Gogh sunflower painting. According to the little plaque at its base, it is the largest painting on an easel in the world.

I have to wonder who originally thought of the idea of erecting a humungous painting on an easel in the middle of a park. It seems like such a bizarre concept to me. Did some bloke mention it as a joke during a town council meeting when the topic of tourist attractions was raised, only to be taken seriously by the rest of the councillors? Was the decision to build the thing made over a liquid lunch? I guess I will never know.

While I'm on the topic of "things that make you go ...", I need to vent a little steam regarding the place where Hubby likes to get the car serviced. The car was booked in for its service two whole weeks ago, yet when I picked up the car this afternoon I was told that the air filter and the belts were not changed because these parts were not in stock. What the!?! They had two friggin' weeks in which to order the parts to ensure that they were in stock! How useless is that! Now I have to make a special trip into the small smoke in another couple of weeks to get the car serviced yet again. Grrrr!

Anyway, today wasn't too bad despite the above frustration. I'm back to feeling a little flat again but that's probably only because I'm feeling kind of tired.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha. That easel painting reminds me of the Simpsons. You know how every so often the townspeople vote on erecting some stupid touristy thing... like the monorail (remember the song lol?) and the escalator to nowhere where the people fell off the end!

    You sure the sign at the entrance to the little smoke doesn't say Springfield??

    ReplyDelete