Friday, October 21, 2005

Home Sweet Home

Yesterday everybody arrived home safely (except for one student ) from my school's cultural camp. For me, the camp was both incredibly difficult and amazingly interesting. I'll write more on that later though. For now, I just want to share a few photographs which I took whilst on camp.

On the morning of the camp's second day we took the students on a cultural walk. It was an incredibly special walk. We learnt about the area's significance to Indigenous people as well as some of the area's history from a non-indigenous viewpoint.

I was incredibly honoured to view an Indigenous art site for the first time in my life. The above image is of some of the stencil art in the area. Apparently Indigenous art sites aren't just for art's sake. They signify what the area was used for, for example, a trade route or a burial site.

The above image is of an interesting rock formation from the cultural walk. Recently, the park rangers have discovered that this particular formation is unstable so we weren't able to get any closer to it.

The national park is teeming with wildlife. I was enamoured by the Kookaburras that hung around our camp site.

The above is a picture from the bottom of one of the national park's waterfalls. It was a two kilometre walk, complete with 240 stairs, down to the rock pool. Walks like that remind me of how unfit I have become. I nearly died on the return walk! The area's beauty was worth the effort though.

2 comments:

  1. wow-that looks awesome. can't wait to read about the specifics of your trip. so cool-wish i was there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *smiles*
    no photos of... *grins*
    hehehe

    ReplyDelete