Sunday, October 16, 2005

Heading Off to Camp

I'm going on a school camp next week. Each year the school where I work organises an Indigenous cultural camp for both the school's Indigenous and non-indigenous students. This year we are going to a nearby national park (pictured to the right). The school invites elders from the local area to teach the students about the cultural significance of the area. I'm quite looking forward to going on the camp. Not only will it be a good way to get to know the students with whom I'm working better, it should also be a great opportunity to learn about a culture different to my own.

My only problem with going on the camp is the issue of privacy. There is going to be around forty students, school staff and family members attending the camp. I don't feel 100% comfortable around people to begin with, so it could very well be a bit of a challenge living in such close proximity to so many people. Hopefully when I start feeling hemmed in, I will be able to escape into the bush for a little time alone.

Apart from the above, I haven't got a lot of news at the moment. Generally, I've been feeling okay. SH does remain an issue though. When I burn, I tend to keep going with it for a little while. Tomorrow should see an end to that however, because I won't have a lot of time to myself whilst on camp.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I can imagine privacy would be an issue. I don't feel comfortable around people either, and it would certainly be a hard thing for me to do to live so closely to others.

    But all the best, and I hope you have some fun.
    Polar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of alone time... I imagine you'll be sneaking off to the bush every hour or so for a ciggie anyway lol.

    I wonder if you're enjoying yourself? and I wonder how the "hub" is coping on his own? hahahaha @ the thought that he has to make his own crib and cook his own dinner! and heck, if he runs out of clothes he might have to do some washing too!!! geez, you know, that thought has cheered me up! i might be able to get out of bed today after all. *depression lifts slightly*

    Hahahaha... no fuck it i think i'll stay where i am :D

    Hope you're enjoying your week.

    ReplyDelete