Thursday, August 31, 2006

More on the Medication

Continuing on from my previous post regarding going cold turkey on my medications, I must admit that I am feeling rather dependent on them and I am more than a little apprehensive about quitting them altogether. I wonder if it is an intelligent thing to do considering last time I tried to decrease my medications (that time with my pdoc's approval and support), I went down hill. I am determined to find out what I would be like sans medication though. Consequently, instead of just going cold turkey, perhaps it would be better just to slowly decrease them over a few weeks. I wouldn't go through any major withdrawal symptoms then.

I've sat down and written up a short "decreasing the medications schedule" which I will adhere to over the next few weeks.

Current medications:
  • 300mg Seroquel
  • 40mg Lexapro
  • 100mg Solian
Decreasing the medications schedule:

Week 1:
  • 200mg Seroquel (2 tablets)
  • 30mg Lexapro (1½ tablets)
  • 50mg Solian (½ tablets)
Week 2:
  • 100mg Seroquel (1 tablet)
  • 20mg Lexapro (1 tablet)
  • Nil Solian
Week 3:
  • 50mg Seroquel (½ tablet)
  • 10mg Lexapro (½ tablet)
  • Nil Solian
Week 4:
  • Medication free!!!
I think the above schedule is reasonable and as responsible as it can be given that my pdoc doesn't know anything about my intentions.

So, tonight is the night! I'm going to start decreasing my medications as of tonight. By my next pdoc appointment I will be medication free and hopefully feeling more like my old self. Then I can tell my pdoc what I have done. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Eek.

    So you're reducing your meds without the pdoc's go ahead?

    Eek.

    I hope this works. I'm all for control-your-own-meds. I did that a LOT during my pregnancy lol. I mean, we tend to know ourselves better than the docs, right?

    Problem is its only right sometimes lol. So be careful.

    Good luck tho!

    Have you told Shane and the GBF so that they can help keep an eye on everything? Just in case you lose track of things? Sorry to be so direct lol.

    Eek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apologies for the rambling. And to think its not even that late... *sigh*. Babies make me tired in the same way that Pretzels made Kramer thirsty.

    "These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

    "This baby is making me tired!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't recommend doing this but it is your choice. I hope it works and helps you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the concern and support you guys.

    Yeah Joey, both Hubby and GBF know what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. I specifically spoke to Hubby about it to let him know that I may be even kookier than usual. He actually understood the gravity of it too, which was good.

    ReplyDelete