Thursday, August 17, 2006

Dreams, Dreams, Dreams

Now that summer is drawing near and the sun is rising a little earlier in the morning, my husky is waking me up an hour or so earlier than what was the norm during the winter months. Despite that being a bit of an adjustment to handle, this morning it helped me to remember a dream that I must have been having when the dog acted as my own personal furry alarm clock. So, without further ado, here is my dream as I remember it.

I had been admitted into a hospital which closely resembled the hospital that I have been in a few times now. In reality, psych patients generally get a private room, but in the dream I was sharing with a woman who was probably in her late 40's. For some bizarre reason, a group of wasps were building a huge, intricate nest over my room mate's bed. She didn't seem to notice or care about the nest's presence, but eventually I decided that I couldn't sleep in a room that harboured a huge wasps' nest.

The pest exterminators were called and the nest was eradicated. I remember another patient commenting on how she noticed, when the nest was being removed, that it was filled with some sort of fatty, sludgy substance. Yuck!

Upon removal however, a small number of wasps were left behind. I lay on my bed watching them scurry about on the roof, collecting the remaining vestiges of the nest and setting about building a new nest.

When I awoke the next morning, the wasps had managed to rebuild a surprisingly large amount of nest, this time on the roof above my bed. In its own way, it was just as intricate and beautiful as the original nest.

It was the final straw for me, however. I couldn't stay in the room any longer with the wasps busily buzzing around their nearly constructed nest, making their final touches on their construction. I headed outside to have a cigarette or five.

Outside there were quite a number of people milling about in small groups, chatting or smoking. I wanted to be alone, so I wandered off a little and found a seat which sat some way away from all the other people. After sitting down, two men approached the back of my seat. I turned towards them and basically told them to go away, which thankfully they did.

After a short time I re-entered the hospital building and made my way down the corridor to my room, except during my short walk down the corridor I completely forgot which room number I was staying in. I passed my room mate and asked her which room was ours. She indicated that it was room 1, but as we both entered the room, I realised that it didn't look like the correct one. At that stage, she mentioned how she didn't like sharing with other people, to which I agreed. We then agreed that we were in the wrong room, exited it and set about finding the proper room.

And that was the end of the dream as I remember it.

3 comments:

  1. the running theme seems to be wanting to be left alone. perhaps you need some time to yourself, or a break from daily annoyances. insects generally mean illness in a dream, if bitten, however yours was looming over your head. somehow it all makes sense when you take it literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow gabbi! Thanks for the dream analysis. It was quite insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dreams been crazy for me too lately. Damn Risperdal.

    ReplyDelete